About Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Brussels Office Since:1989
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP is a leading law firm, combining a first-class European offering with a strong global network.
Our Regulatory and Public Affairs teams, based in Brussels and Berlin, work with lawyers across our global network to advise clients on strategic policy issues arising from EU and national legislative developments and in the framework of competition and trade proceedings, with a focus on sensitive legal transactions and in-depth merger investigations.
On a daily basis, we help clients:
- Identify the risks and opportunities of policy developments and gain an insight into the decision-makers and political drivers behind such developments;
- Access the information necessary to properly assess these risks and opportunities, including from both public and informal sources, as well as individual requests in the spirit of transparency;
- Influence the policy debate and the substance of upcoming rules;
- Build an effective profile towards decision-makers in Brussels, Berlin and beyond;
- Devise engagement strategies in the context of competition and trade proceedings, in alignment with the legal strategies;
- Understand relevant policy developments that could impact business decisions regarding potential investments or acquisitions; and
- Analyse the intention behind legislative provisions, particularly in the context of legal advice or litigation.
Over 4,000 legal professionals, working in more than 150 countries, speaking 70 different languages.
Expertise: The firm’s legal offering, combined with our Brussels and Berlin teams’ experience of advising on strategic policy issues, enable us to represent clients’ interests at an EU and national level.
‘One firm’ mindset: Cross-border work is what we excel at. We understand what it takes to work across different political, legal and business environments.
Consistency and diversity: The integration of our Brussels and Berlin teams within the firm’s network ensures consistency of advice and service. Our diverse backgrounds and nationalities allow us to seamlessly switch between law, politics and business and maintain a range of connections with EU and national officials.
Number of Public Affairs Consultants6 in Brussels and 3 in Berlin
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
- Futures Industry Association
- American Council of Life Insurers
- National Retail Federation
- Association of Bermuda Insurers & Reinsurers
Thought LeadershipWe work with our lawyers globally to share insights on the most complex legal challenges, be it in relation to digitalisation, sustainability, competition/trade and sanctions. We produce blogposts, podcasts and briefings, and set up a dedicated website to help clients understand the impact of Brexit. We take part in EU stakeholder platforms (e.g. EU AI Alliance, Blockchain Observatory & Forum and the Commission’s Expert Group on liability and new technologies).
Testimonials and why clients like to work with us
“As a U.S.-based organization, the Freshfields EU Regulatory and Public Affairs team has helped us build valuable and trusted relationships in Brussels among many high-level EU officials on a range of key transatlantic policy issues.”
“Because of the exceptionally high standard of client service and EU regulatory counsel they routinely provide, the Freshfields team must continually exceed our very high expectations on their next assignment, which they invariably do.”
“I have been working with Natalie now for many years, Natalie is an enormously efficient Public Affairs professional with an analytical mind and hugely personable with a great professional network”