About Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Brussels Office Since:1989
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP is a leading global law firm, combining a first-class European offering with a strong global network.
Our Regulatory and Public Affairs teams, based in Brussels and Berlin, work closely with legal teams across our network to provide clients with unrivalled access to legal and sector-specific industry knowledge and help them manage their regulatory environments. We have exactly what they need: advisers who focus on the interface between law, politics and business. Being able to develop a quick understanding of clients’ businesses and the environments in which they operate means we can add value right from the start.
On a day-to-day basis, we advise clients on strategic policy issues arising from EU and national legislative developments and in the framework of competition and trade proceedings, with a focus on sensitive legal transactions and in-depth merger investigations.
Some concrete examples of work we have done for clients in the past:
- Mapping the risks and opportunities for clients’ businesses through monitoring and real-time alerts on legislative and policy developments;
- Providing an insight into the key decision-makers and political drivers behind legislative and policy developments;
- Influencing the substance of upcoming rules;
- Building a profile towards decision-makers by raising awareness of clients’ concerns in Brussels, Berlin and beyond;
- Drafting ‘position papers’ for use with decision-makers, setting out messaging on the issues at stake, including data, case studies and suggested wording for amendments, with support from the legal teams where necessary;
- Analysing current and future legislative and policy developments in the context of potential investment decisions; and
- Analysing legislative processes to explore the intention behind legislation/legislative provisions), particularly in the context of legal advice or litigation.
Limited Liability Partnership.
Over 2,800 lawyers, working in more than 150 countries, speaking 70 different languages.
Expertise: The firm’s legal skills, combined with our Brussels and Berlin teams’ extensive experience of advising on strategic policy issues, enable us to represent clients’ interests at an EU and national level.
‘One firm’ mindset: We don’t just say we are one firm; we act like one firm right across the world. Cross-border work isn’t just what we do, it is what we excel at. We understand what it really takes to work across different political, legal and business environments and to bridge language and cultural gaps.
Consistency and diversity: As a firm, we put huge effort into making sure that every client receives the same high-quality advice and service wherever they are in the world. The integration of our Brussels and Berlin teams within the firm’s network ensures this consistency and allows us to grow with our clients. Our diversity of educational and national backgrounds allows us to seamlessly switch between law, politics and business and to maintain a wide range of connections with EU and national officials in Brussels and Berlin.
Number of Public Affairs Consultants4 in Brussels and 2 in Berlin
- London Stock Exchange Group
- Futures Industry Association
- Lloyd’s of London
- National Retail Federation
- American Council of Life Insurers
- UN Principles for Responsible Investment
We work with our lawyers globally to share insights on the most complex legal challenges, be it on Brexit, AI or sustainability. We produce blogsites, podcasts and briefings, and set up a dedicated website to help clients understand the results and implications of the 2019 European Parliament elections.
To build this knowledge, we take part inter alia in relevant Commission stakeholder platforms (e.g. EU AI Alliance, Blockchain Observatory & Forum and the Commission’s Expert Group on liability and new technologies).
Testimonials and why clients like to work with us
Our EU Public Affairs and Regulatory practice is ranked Band 1 in Chambers. Client say:
“We were more than astonished by the availability of the team and their ability to handle a lot of topics at the same time with regulatory and competition aspects.”
“They have a superb team providing integrated support across some of our most complex multi-jurisdictional matters.”
Practice head Christiaan Smits has “a particular strength related to fintech and the EU digital single market.”