About Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Brussels Office Since:1989
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP is a leading law firm, combining a first-class European offering with a strong global network.
Our Regulatory and Public Affairs teams, based in Brussels and Berlin, work with lawyers across our global network to advise clients on strategic policy issues arising from EU and national legislative developments and in the framework of competition and trade proceedings, with a focus on sensitive legal transactions and in-depth merger investigations.
On a daily basis, we help clients:
- Identify the risks and opportunities of policy developments and gain an insight into the decision-makers and political drivers behind such developments;
- Access the information necessary to properly assess these risks and opportunities, including from both public and informal sources, as well as individual requests in the spirit of transparency;
- Influence the policy debate and the substance of upcoming rules;
- Build an effective profile towards decision-makers in Brussels, Berlin and beyond;
- Devise engagement strategies in the context of politicised competition and trade proceedings, in alignment with the legal strategies;
- Understand relevant policy developments that could impact business decisions regarding potential investments or acquisitions; and
- Analyse the intention behind legislative provisions, particularly in the context of legal advice or litigation.
Expertise: The firm’s legal offering, combined with our Brussels and Berlin teams’ experience of advising on strategic policy issues, enable us to represent clients’ interests at an EU and national level.
‘One firm’ mindset: Cross-border work is what we excel at. We understand what it takes to work across different political, legal and business environments.
Consistency and diversity: The integration of our Brussels and Berlin teams within the firm’s network ensures consistency of advice and service. Our diverse backgrounds and nationalities allow us to seamlessly switch between law, politics and business and maintain a range of connections with EU and national officials.
Number of Public Affairs Consultants6 in Brussels and 3 in Berlin
London Stock Exchange Group, Futures Industry Association, Lloyd’s of London, American Council of Life Insurers, PayPal, QVC, National Retail Federation, UN Principles for Responsible Investment, he Minderoo Foundation
We work with our lawyers globally to share insights on the most complex legal challenges, be it in relation to digitalisation, sustainability or competition/trade. We produce blogposts, podcasts and briefings, and set up a dedicated website to help clients understand the impact of Brexit.
We take part in EU stakeholder platforms (e.g. EU AI Alliance, Blockchain Observatory & Forum and the Commission’s Expert Group on liability and new technologies).
Testimonials and why clients like to work with us
Our EU Public Affairs and Regulatory practice is ranked Europe-wide in Chambers.
“We were more than astonished by the availability of the team and their ability to handle a lot of topics at the same time with regulatory and competition aspects.”
“They have a superb team providing integrated support across some of our most complex multi-jurisdictional matters.”